Friday, August 21, 2026

Cello concert

What a day! Especially a very very memorable day for che-che 


Went to VCH for a concert with che-che. First time she paid for my tickets. lol



“The stage is set, the instruments wait, and the silence before the music begins is filled with infinite possibilities.”


Most times we just sit in during intermission, unless the autograph session is held during intermission (Jussen Brothers). We made our way out this time as che-che needed fresh air for her stifling nose


Sat down for a while before che-che noticed someone next to her. She turned to me and whispered Ng Pei Sian. Omg! I think I’m more excited than her. What are the odds? He’s across us! He only came for this second part for the cello solo. Kept nudging her to ask him for photo, this introvert girl is so paiseh kept saying “so embarrassing”. 

Of course not going to lose this chance, I took many pics of his side profile. Hahaha!. I’m more excited than her


Jamshid Saydikarimov took centre stage for Friedrich Gulda's Concerto for Cello and Wind Orchestra. 




Concert came to an end and I still continued nudging her to ask him for a photo. We were literally behind him as we were walking out coz we were seated that close. I can’t imagine if he sat next to us during the second half of the concert. For sure the two of us won’t be able to concentrate 😂. Anyway as we were walking out, che-che spotted her junior band tutor. She’s always not clear in her description so I kept asking her “who who who?” Before I know it he was just next to me 🤣. She came to this concert coz she also knows the saxophonist, and also coz she loves cello. 

Anyway, I cannot tahan lah. We’re so close to him yet can only secretly fangirl-ling Pei Sian from behind. She still refused to ask so I buay paiseh took a bigger step and was next to him n caught his attention. Said were his fans and if we could have a photo taken (I took two and perhaps many more in the concert 😜) and mentioned that she *pointed to che-che* has recently taken up cello. He turned his attention to this young girl instead of entertaining this lao charboh and said, “oh you play the cello” I stepped back gracefully, I dunno what else they were talking about as we made our way to a more convenient out-of-people’s-way spot. He chatted, then took the pics, chatted then excused himself. He was so gentlemanly when he said “excuse me awhile let me say goodbye to my friend first.” Sorry companion! And he came back to us! They talked about the concert and he asked who her tutor is. They know each other, her tutor is also quite reputable lah! It was such a surreal experience for her to speak to him in person. He asked for her name, I’m not sure if he’ll remember her coz he comes across so many people daily and he has tons of fans.
A guy interrupted our convo and asked for a photo. Not that we were rushing off but it’ll be weird if we stayed on waiting to talk to him again after the photo taking. Actually he is actually rushing off somewhere, so kind of him to even talk to us. We excused ourselves and bade goodbye to him. We’ll see him soon. 


A 3mth old baby learner who still squeaks with our SSO Principal Cellist.


You might be wondering why I’m not in the photo. Yah, I’d love to but I feel it’s more appropriate for che-che to take with him

As we left, I told che-che even if we didn’t stop him others would. So why not try our luck and it’s not like we get a chance after the concerts all these years. Then she said she saw him twice in the Esplanade carpark before (when I wasn’t with her). Huh? And never approach him? 

Anyway… to him we might be one of the ordinary nameless people he comes across and talks to, but to che-che it means so much to her. To speak with her idol, someone she looks up to. I hope this gives her more motivation to work harder. She paid for my ticket so I did my work. Haha! 

No comments: