Sinseh says lil’ one’s body constitution lacks water. Water that comes from normal water intake is not sufficient, her diet needs more soup, porridge. Hearing this, lil’ one cannot become any more ah-ma than this! 😂
So, being the good mother, I made an attempt to boil more soup for dinner. The verdict? It is absolutely exhausting. I also face the reality of my tiny kitchen situation.
Beginning with THE FRIDGE CRISIS : My fridge and freezer are way too small. I can't just buy a mountain of pork bones to stock up. Sheng Siong is just right across us, but they only import Australian pork 🤨. Which means I need to make a weekly trip to NTUC after my Fight-Do to get the Malaysian pork. And once I do my grocery there, it also means I can’t visit mom with frozen things in the car.
Next THE DISAPPEARING ACT : Every time I start with about 1.6 litres of water, it boils down to just enough for this ah-ma and ah-pek (hubby)
In all seriousness, the entire process is just a massive hassle. It's a whole pi-ling-pa-lang drama in the kitchen-soaking the ingredients, cutting other ingredients, stir-frying other dishes, monitoring the pot (and if I'm unlucky, dealing with a dirty, boiled-over stove when I had my back turned) and then the inevitable aftermath.
The worst part? When dinner ends, the rest of the family just disappears to the living room or their bedrooms to relax. Meanwhile, I am left alone in the kitchen to clean up the war zone. No maid, no helper, just me. It is incredibly tiring to cook a whole meal, only to realize all that soup effort was gone in exactly ONE MEAL!
My other concern about freezing soup
1) Oh, please don't tell my 妈妈 but she will nag at me nonstop about how eating frozen food causes 生风. Then she'll start comparing us: 'If I can do it by cooking fresh food for family daily, why can't you work harder for your child? Poor lil’ one is already so skinny don’t make her fall sick.”
She needs to understand that not all hours in the kitchen are created equal. If you have ever spent 2hrs sweating over a hot stove feeding a family of fussy eaters, you know exactly what I mean. It is hard to put a proper meal on the table for four. When she cooked for us in 2hrs, we ate everything. The math just doesn't add up. That’s why I always felt cooking for my family is not out of love but an exhausting chore.
2) I’m sure TCM discourages bulk cooking and freezing food. I should ask our sinseh when we see him. I just hope he doesn't scold me! 😬
Something to read
Problems I will face if I freeze soup
Let's be honest: we've all fallen down the Instagram bulk cooking & block-freeze rabbit hole. You know the videos I'm talking about. A serene creator effortlessly tucks stacks of silicone mold into a freezer that looks entirely empty. It looks so organized but where is their actual stuff? Coz it’s a battlefield when I open my fridge/freezer 😂. The freezer icepack that is meant for First Aid might be the cause of my injury 🤭. I mean, they’re Instagrammers for a reason, if I ever show myself walking in my small kitchen in one step to my fridge open it to put something inside …. Instantly my followers and ratings will drop 🤣. Well, just to freeze the plate of carrots, I had to move things around to ensure that it doesn’t topple when someone opens the door.
Oh, and can we talk about their HUGE fridge-freezer situation? Coz they have a 4 door model, they can easily segregate and organize everything into dedicated freezer drawers. Meanwhile, I'm here with my 2-door fridge, playing a game of Tetris (or should I say Jenga) trying to shove everything into one basic rectangular box freezer. I can play Where’s Wally with my freezer too!
See! It’s the Instagrammable freezer. This is one side of a 4-door fridge. And anyway who stacks their cubes this way? It’s just for the photo op. Even if I had vacumn sealed my soup, I still don’t have that much space!

















No comments:
Post a Comment