Our current Sunday routine includes a post-sinseh stop at the old-school bakery. But she isn’t there for the bread or cakes. She’s there exclusively for the jelly. Correction: The RED jelly.
Never mind the fact that the green, purple, and red options are literally made from the exact same agar powder and water. To her, jelly is RED. But hey, this is afterall the same child who refused to eat my all natural peppermint ice cream because it wasn't artificial green. If it's not dyed, it's not real.
But lately she goes to hunt down her signature red jelly, only to find a glaring empty spot in the fridge. The twist? The chiller is practically bursting with color. The other six shades of the rainbow are sitting right there on the shelf, perfectly chilled and ready. But she won't reach. For her, it's red or nothing at all.
I had to gently remind her that she only thinks jelly is exclusively red coz the very first time she ever ate jelly, it was mama’s signature red version. She made it red because she only had one single bottle of red food colouring/powder in her entire kitchen!Unlike mama, I actually bake. If you open my pantry right now, I have a whole plethora of food gel colours.
Uncle overheard us near the chiller and offered help. I asked for red jelly because she only eats red. Coincidentally he was making a fresh batch of red jelly in the kitchen, so it was still liquid. He gladly went in and poured a cup, I told him “no uncle I want 6 cups.” I had to put them in the fridge the moment I get home.
Here my girl is elated that she has lots of jelly. Traipsing her way to the car, swinging the bag while I gasped in horror from behind. I teased her “if I apply emergency brake, save the jellies don’t save yourself.”
Had to make my trip worth. I bought their coffee and chocolate cakes and a small swiss roll
there was no queue at the Teochew porridge stall, so. I quickly bought some 美人鱼 to snack. This goes really well with porridge.
No comments:
Post a Comment