Thursday, August 6, 2026

🥕🥕

Grocery shopping is such a chore. I rarely need large quantities, but supermarkets force you to buy in bulk. Honestly, I'd rather pay a bit more for loose items than watch a whole bag of onions or potatoes/garlic sprout and go to waste.
And this also explains why my spice rack looks the way it does. (Click HERE for post) Instead of fresh herbs, I rely entirely on pantry staples like onion powder, garlic powder, and parsley flakes to get the job done.

I've been desperately trying to extend the shelf life of my fresh produce. I've tried everything from specialized herb containers for coriander, parsley, and spring onions, to wrapping them in paper towels—and honestly, I can't even remember what else!
Ideally, I would use a proper vacuum sealer, but mine is boxed up in the bomb shelter. It’s just too much hassle to dig it out and pack it away just for one or two items. Instead, I resort to the Zwilling Fresh & Save system. The only issue is that the containers and bags occasionally leak air. I suppose I shouldn't expect them to last forever! I try to check and re-vacuum them every now and then, but on busy days, things slip through the cracks and ingredients still spoil.

I've also considered getting a dehydrator, but I'm worried it might compromise the taste of the food.


5th Aug @ 10.14am - they looked shriveled because condensation formed inside the vacuum-sealed bag, likely inflated by released CO2. Checking and resealing bags takes real effort. Who has the energy to check every single item in the fridge? Worse yet, family members push things around, hiding my ingredients at the back where I forget them.
I wiped the carrots dry and left them outside for three days because I was too busy. They still sweated after sitting at room temperature for a day. If I had known, I should have done this the moment I brought the carrots home.

Scrapped off the outside skin. Sliced and cut them. Need bigger cut carrots to make my Japanese curry and chicken stew, slices for stir fry vegetables. Maybe I should see if supermarkets sells frozen carrots. 

2mins blanch, 2mins cold water dip

Drying them

Chucked into freezer. Heading out for appt so will vacumn seal it when I’m back or maybe do it the next day. 

The next day … 
Look at the amount of bags I can pack with those 2.5 carrots. The girls don’t eat veggies and for some reason hubby don’t seem to enjoy carrots as much as I do, thus I can’t throw in a lot of carrots in our stir fry vegetables

Should I do the same with the potatoes? 

Another list to update on the fridge just coz my memory is not that good. List is not fully updated as I haven’t updated the minced meats and other rubbish in the freezer. 

No comments: