Wednesday, October 12, 2022

AA application

The school's SEN officer, Ms Kaur, has been extremely helpful. She's been rushing the application for us, even when tutors are all saying it's impossible to get it out now ("it's too late"). Even when I mentioned that SEN officer said she managed to push through before just a month before. 

Perhaps we're the only person she's dealing with now? Coz nobody does it as late as us? Or maybe she prioritise lil' one first as she's the only one taking her major examinations? Nonetheless, this wouldn't have been made possible without her help. 

"by George, she DID IT!"

A thick stack of papers lil' one came back with. First time seeing this. I mean.... there were kids who had all these AA (Access Arrangement) since primary school. She knew about this coz she told me before when in primary school, some students are seated separately, I didn't know what she meant until she needs it.

We applied for every thing. Haha! 

1) extra time
2) breaks
3) printed on A3 paper. Fonts enlarged
4) in a separate room (she asked for this herself coz she didn't want to interrupt the other students when she needs to stand up and walk around. Says it's very noisy when other students stood up to go to toilet or leave the exam hall)

Another special request from me, I asked SEAB if they allow her to use a calculator with bigger numbers coz POA deals with lots of numbers and she mentioned that she's copied wrong numbers before. I can't ask for special request for her Math papers as they use scientific calculators and they only come in that small font size. I emailed them personally but they only came back with a standard "can apply for AA". I think the person who replied me has limited language comprehension? I wrote in simple english and gave all details. So if the staff is hardworking to check her IC number and Student ID she wouldn't have misunderstood my email right? Anyway, I decided to ask Ms Kaur for her help, afterall she's coming in from the school and might help me push them faster.  After a few emails from the school and SEAB, they approved and asked me to get the calculator myself and send them a photo on the model number. 

I'm grateful that SEAB gave us this provision.   



 All was done in time for her Prelims. SEN and teachers were also pleased with the improvement in grades. It's a pity that we didn't get it before her Chinese O'level paper in May. But anyway she did well for the subject too so ....

With the extra time she managed to finish her exam papers. She often miss a few questions behind. With the improvement, she was more optimistic and happier to face her next exams which is the major one.

No comments: