28th July @ 3.36pm (SIN)
Was busy around the house when I saw down to rest awhile and saw the missed message from M about an earthquake in Kumamoto occurring 9 mins ago. Kumamoto is about 100km away from her.
Although earthquakes is so common and she’s more experienced / calm than me I can’t help but worry for her. 7.1 by Japan Meteorological Agency (6.8 by USGS Earthquake Hazards Program) leh! Is she alone at home at that time so I messaged to ask about her. Thank goodness it’s the summer holiday so the girls are at home. M her youngest was holding on the bookshelf and the other hand on Instagram. Haha! My first response was “posting in Instagram?”
- Hinagu Fault Zone: Extends northeast-southwest through Kumamoto Prefecture and the Yatsushiro Sea, heavily involved in recent major regional seismic activity.
- Futagawa Fault Zone: Runs alongside the Hinagu system in central Kyushu, forming a prominent strike-slip and normal fault network.
- Japan Median Tectonic Line (MTL): Japan's longest fault system, which cuts across the eastern and central parts of the island.
- Beppu-Shimabara Graben: A complex rift and volcanic zone cutting across central Kyushu packed with numerous active normal faults
What kind of fault caused this earthquake
Like most earthquakes, strike slip fault caused this earthquake.
Click HERE for description and animation of the different kinds of fault
A blogger wrote about the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake. Very interesting but very wordy. Click HERE
Not related to Kumamoto’s earthquake but was checking things when I saw there was earthquake in China in late morning. Haha! The earth seems to rattle all the time that nobody pays attention to everything.
Click HERE for article on this earthquake
**************
While editing this post days later, as usual, I came across this article from this FB group













No comments:
Post a Comment