Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Raindrop Cake 水信玄餅

Raindrop cake or mizu shingen mochi was introduced in 2014 altho it goes back to way back. Read this

I can’t remember when or where I first saw it and had it. I believe it was the kinako powder that made me notice this and liked it. I also liked warabi mochi, think it’s has that 像花生 taste. 

Anyway, I was so happy when this was presented to us at the restaurant Mio 未央 brought us to in Dec 22. I was expecting the normal matcha shiratama dango dessert, it’s like I even forgot its existence. 

Che-che decided to try it and liked it, she took lil’ one’s share. 

photo taken by che-che

When I saw the dessert, I even commented I’ve been wanting to make this for years but never did 😂. Seven months down the road at shin-Osaka station (taking train to Himeji) che-che chanced upon this. Was surprised that the expiry date is months later, not that it will be kept that long anyway. And isn’t it supposed to be served chilled? 






Well… she declined the offer to buy more at the station. She was trying not to finish them so fast. She was left with this last one. She didn’t get to eat this coz hubby ate it 🤣.  

So I think it’s time I should make this before she flies over for studies. Kindda procrastinated for a few days already and decided I better do it now - on 31st July. 

So many recipes but dunno which one to use. Why did I have to choose a weird portion recipe? 1 cup to 1.5tbsp of agar powder. That’s a lot of powder for so little water. 
I don’t even need to refrigerate the jelly, it hardened in less than 10mins 🤣

1st Aug

Tried the smaller ones, quite tasteless. The recipe called for 1g but I think I can increase to 2-3g for a start. 


2nd Aug
Left with 4 big ones, served 1 to che-che who feedback it’s not sweet and rather soft. Huh? Well maybe I can try to decrease very little water? Maybe 10-20ml? Will it be too hard then? 


Mine! 

Makan-ing







No comments: