Rice. The staple in every Asian household. Ah-soh wants to talk about rice today.
I usually have two different rice at home, one Thai fragrant and one Japanese short-grain. But the last replenishment lil’ one asked for chinese pearl rice instead of Thai rice. Though both are short grain rice their taste differs.
Now it’s time for replenishment. When I’m alone I’m able to read and make comparison. The red packet on the left of this picture is what I always have at home. Been eating this brand since like forever whenever I had to prepare Japanese bento/food for the girls. Yup! Look at the price difference!
A question I asked Mr Goolugoolu. Are they the same?
No, Royal Umbrella Short Grain Rice is not the same as Niigata Koshihikari JA-rice. They differ significantly in origin, brand, and grain pedigree.
Key Differences
- Origin & Cultivation:
- Royal Umbrella Short Grain: Uses a Japanese rice breed (such as Akitakomachi) cultivated in Thailand.
- Niigata Koshihikari JA-rice: Grown and harvested in Niigata Prefecture, Japan, overseen by the JA (Japan Agricultural Cooperatives) group.
- Flavor and Texture Profile:
- Royal Umbrella Short Grain: A budget-friendly alternative suitable for everyday home cooking, sushi, and onigiri.
- Niigata Koshihikari: Widely regarded as a premium, top-tier Japanese grain featuring a deep natural fragrance, superior glossiness, and sticky texture.
- Pricing:
- Royal Umbrella Short Grain: Generally costs much less per kilogram.
- Niigata Koshihikari JA-rice: Commands a higher price tag due to import costs and authentic Japanese regional grading.



No comments:
Post a Comment