Wednesday, July 31, 2024

I'm S.E.O.U.L looking forward

I'm so looking forward to another trip with just lil' one. She has been grouching to me that she wants a trip with me ("just cause I brought che-che with me to the US and Japan). Huh? I didn't bring che-che to US, she was already in the US.

On the day when they sent che-che and I to the airport for our Japan flight, lil' one was pouting her lips and upset and whispered to me that she wants me to bring her to Korea. A place where she's been wanting to go for the longest time. I haven't been there since our first and last holiday to Korea in 2010.  

While in Japan, I was just surfing and searching for cheap flights, playing around with dates too as I wasn't sure when exactly her official school break is. Comparing with SQ, and then Scoot. Scoot is cheap but it's just not worth it as I need to add luggage and a meal. 6hrs+ is not a short flight for lil' one to starve through. When everything adds up, I might as well just come up abit more to take SQ! I was given some alternatives in cheapflights.com. Ehh.... a 6hrs+ flight becomes a 9hrs or even 12hrs flight. Siao! I might as well fly to Europe. Please note they’re all budget airlines. Just not worth me going hungry in the plane.

So when I finally decided to just stick to our carrier. I was fiddling with the thoughts of travelling on her birthday or maybe one day before her birthday so I can request for a birthday cake for her. 

About birthday cake request on SQ : For poor people class which I always travel, it's +/- 1 day the date of travel. The same for PE. But for JCL and FCL passengers it's +/- 3 days the date of travel. Aunty no money to travel business class. For information, request can be made via the Live Chat, at least I don't have to wait for hours on the phone to speak to a customer service officer. 

There's this thing about certain days of the weekday the air-ticket is more expensive. Think it's Tuesdays and Thursdays?? So yah.... if I were to travel out on 

Option 1 : 19/9 (Thu) 1445hrs - 2220hrs flight and back on 26/9 (Thu) 1110hrs - 1640hrs flight the cheapest fare is estimated to be $964.50. If I want the earlier 0800hrs - 1535hrs flight and back at 1110hrs - 1640hrs, I'll be $2139.50 poorer. No way am I going to spend that much on an economy air ticket to Asia Pacific. I'd rather fly to JFK.     

Option 2 : 16/9 (Mon) 0800hrs - 1535hrs flight and back on 27/9 (Fri) 1110hrs - 1640hrs flight the cheapest fare is $660.50 for Economy Lite and $1169.50 for Economy Standard. The only difference between Economy Lite and Economy Standard is the miles earned.

Option 3 : 19/9 (Thu) 1445hrs - 2220hrs and return on 26/9 (Thu) 1110hrs - 1640hrs on Economy Standard tickets both sector is more than $1169.50

Option 4 : 19/9 (Thu) 0225hrs - 0950hrs and return on 26/9 (Thu) 1110hrs - 1640hrs, only Economy Flexi ticket is sold and total charges will come up to $1789.50 

Option 5 : 16/9 (Mon) 0010hrs - 0745hrs and back on 26/9 (Thu) via Busan 0740hrs - 1310hrs. Only Economy Standard ticket is sold for $1224.70

So I think this tells me that Thursdays the price is more expensive than Mondays. I did work one day before on Wed, it's also expensive. More expensive than travelling on Mondays. 

So is getting that birthday cake and that sweet surprise worth the extra $$?? Yah, we'll get champagne and an apple juice for sure but I DON'T DRINK alcohol onboard so maybe make that 2 cups of apple juice. A card with dry ice in a cup presented on a lined tray, and the SQ bear which I was given on my May's flight. Eh….with that fare difference savings I can get her a small slice of cake of her choice in Seoul, let her do what she wants on her birthday. 好吧!省这笔钱吧!

Darn! I didn't know 1-2 days makes a difference. By the time I finalised the dates (coz I realised it's Chuseok the time we're there, so I need to find out if shops and sights are opened, if it's worth to make a trip that early etc..) I decided to proceed to do the booking. Price rose by $45. OMG! I think it's cause the price increases as the date of departure draws closer. And lil' one's ticket is $32 more ex than mine. The dates are none of the options above. 

Why is her ticket more expensive than mine? Ahh.... my tier privilege is complimentary seat selection. Heehee!! 

All done on 31st July 3am. Only slept at 5.30am
Air-tickets - Booked!
Insurance - Booked! Since I had to get che-che's travel insurance to JB today, I purchased mine at for $135.24

Will look into booking hotels + registering eMFA after that. And then planning itinerary. 


Different ranting about air-tickets  
The man was grouching in anger that lil’ one chose a place with expensive air-tickets and “$xx + is also money.” Then he mumbled that he bought a cheap ticket for himself to Shenzhen, something like she could have opted to go somewhere nearer.    

Lil’ one continued to be defensive (without seeing the tense situation at the moment) that she’s been wanting to go Korea for the longest time etc… 

Honestly I had no idea what transpired between the two of them. She mentioned to me that hubby asked her when is her school holidays and if she wants him to bring her somewhere. “Then I dunno why he bought the tickets for himself?!” 

My question is why book to go holiday without her then? And then infront of us kee-siao start scolding her. 

When I asked he said his ticket to SZX is only $200+ ($278+ to be exact) and he’s going in August. All of us exclaimed it’s so cheap. Then I suddenly remembered the special promotions / escapades deal that SQ has and asked if he bought that. He did and then feeling unfair that he scolded lil’ one I told him off (quite subtly actually) that he is not restricted by anything, he and I can simply go and fly off any day we want but not the kids especially now for lil’ one. She still needs to go to school, she still has to do her IA. She can go in Sep but it has to be her official school holidays altho she has  longer break after her IA. There’s no way we can bring her anywhere as she will need to go back to school one day for her presentation. When? We don’t know. A further check was done for all the deals for SZX, many short ones departs on her inconvenienced dates. The few that departs when she is free to go has to wait out 18 - 30 days until one can fly back. She has to go back to school. 我的女儿阎王啊!still feeling unjustly for lil’ one the 包青天 me had to continue her nagging. “When one has the freedom to leave any time they want, they can choose any dates and days they want to travel. Even W who redeems her tickets one year to many months in advance can go any time she wants as long as there is tickets. 

FYI, I did look into that promotion deals for Korea too just that the shortest option there is 5 days holiday. so short ! 看什么?!and the rests are just too long eating into the new school term. Even so they wrote it as $600+ but when I went in, the cheapest options is not really the cheapest. After all the calculation, it works out to $800+. 

No comments: