Friday, July 19, 2024

自己人 gah-gi-nang

So I’ve left the company 22 years. Resigned in April 2002, cutting short my jet setting lifestyle. Sad! 

When che-che was still a baby and toddler, I would have left the company 1-3years prior. Then I recognised alot of people onboard. Junior crew who came up with toys for che-che and setting up the bassinet etc.. I recognised more leading and chief crew. Then coz I was always in the poor-people class, the most senior person to serve us would be the leading crew. I’ve had IFS who would wave to me from the JCL cabin when we boarded and then come over to talk to us during the flight. Then when they checked the PIS, they took note of hubby who is a PPS so they do come round to make their introduction. There were incidents too when crew referred to PIS before they know I’m an ex-crew from their senior crew. I’ve overheard them telling another crew “Mrs Ting is an ex-crew.” We do get special treatment, we used to board first coz we were parents with infants/young children then when we had no infants/young children we board as PPS or just remained and waited for our row to be called and board then. 

Then over the years, as the girls grew up, the senior crew also one by one retire and leave the company. 

Now, 22 years later. (I would have been a CSS or IFM if I stayed on) the CS/CSS are people just around my time or more junior than me. Staff number 54000 or 55000. I’m in the 52000 range 🤭. I get some senior crew recognising me or some who don’t. But it’s ok, I don’t ask for recognition. 

My last flight from Japan, returning to base, I bumped into my basic batchgirl. Woah! It was a very happy surprise to see her and I ran up to her to say hello while they waited for the aircraft. I’m sure she did mention to the crew that I was her batchgirl then coz after that the IFM kept coming to talk to me. I didn’t mind seriously coz it was too short a flight to sleep BUT I DID EVENTUALLY 😂 and love to chat. I can’t watch movies onboard, I think I just cannot tahan my eyes glued to the screen that long. I’m sure he came over and chatted with me when he was free, load wasn’t that heavy anyway. Asked if I was the “Lily Teo” that Victor and Prem always talked about. Haha! So common name but sorry I’m always known as “Lily Ann Teo” in SQ. Perhaps that’s why one CCE/T came onboard once and mistook me for someone? He kept talking to me also…makes me wonder if I was on appraisal check then. 

E came and talked to me too. So it was really a pleasant flight.

Somehow although I know we use our money to pay for our flights, it feels really weird when the 自己人 come over and greet me as Mrs Ting when hubby is around. When he’s not around, I don’t get salutations coz not recognised customer mah. But still get the good service SQ is reputable for. Or maybe coz I’m an easy passenger.

I think in another 10 years, probably won’t run into familiar crew coz all left the airline. 



No comments: