Saturday, August 13, 2022

Trying to solve her insomnia (The Timeline) - from July (still drafting. post after mid aug?)

Lil' one complained that she couldn't sleep sometime in July. I need to quickly help her with this, her first part of the finals are in September and she was sitting for Prelims in July/August. No time to lose. 

End of July

1. I gave her the flu medication first while I look for solutions. 

2. The next day dropped by Guardian and got her this Blackmore Sleep Sound Formula which has Valerian, lemon balm and magnesium as its ingredients. 

Gave her 2 that night and she slept better but next night tried 1 and was sleepless. All the while I was also diffusing essential oil. I wished I had read up more on valerian root, it wasn't easy holding onto the phone and checking on stuffs, hanging around the shelf so long that maybe staffs think I'm trying to steal something. So back at home I read up more on valerian root and another study says it's not good for children.  

I'd be more comfortable diffusing it when I realise there is Valerian essential oil. This is only available in YL USA.         

This is a good read of the differences between the 2

When one is comfortable, not in the shopping aisle, it's really important to read up loads of information on both sides as reports or clinical results can be quite biased. So another report I read that valerian root for anxiety can be risky. Reading up on the side effects is equally important too so I made sure I read up for all the "pills" I came across. Seems like valerian root has some side effects which might cause her more confusion in her academics instead? Haha! I gave her for 2 days and decided not to give her anymore; she has a small body frame, later she kena jialat jialat how? 


3. I remember melatonin. Ahhhh.... melatonin the small little pills I took in 2002 when I couldn't sleep during our holiday in USA, only to realise I was already 8wks pregnant when we got back to SIN. There are a few bottles of supplements containing melatonin so took pictures and slowly read up on the ingredients back at home.

An article pointed out that there's lack of scientific evidence, and some potentially harmful side effects, melatonin is not recommended for children or teens. 

Sigh.... another potential supplement striked off the list!

4. As I was checking on valerian root, one article mentioned something called ashgawanda. Sounds promising as I know it's ayurvedic. They don't carry that there, only in Taka's outlet. The cashier is an Indian and I asked him if he's heard of it and if it's good. His response is really strange "I've never heard of it." Huh? Can't be my bad pronunciation right?   

A quick search shows it helps in reducing stress and anxiety, stimulates brain power, improves mood and lifts depression amongst others. Somehow this name sounds a little familiar after some time. 
I have Ashgawanda at home! I bought her Goli gummies together with hubby's ACV in Oct'21 or Nov'21, intending to give her for her memory works then. She only took 2 and didn't like it so I kept it aside. However I wished I had checked more on pros and cons before, I read that it's not suitable for below 18. Oh my! And there's another conflicting article :- 
 
So I'm confused can kids take ashgawanda? Or is this company just marketing it (unethically) without due consideration. I'm giving this to my child so I must be extra careful not to harm her.

A clinical results I read, if you might want to know. 

   

I decided to give to Teacher Cheryl instead, otherwise I'd have to throw it away. Fortunately still not past its expiry date, still good for many more months

5. Came across Goli's Dreamy Sleep Gummies, which is not available in Singapore so I have to order from USA. 

6. When one is desperate, one will find all means at the same time. So which works in the end? Abit difficult to tell right? But I was so desperate coz time is running out. Need to help her before her sleeplessness cause her more harm and worst performance.  *dread* 

On 12th Aug while I was still waiting for the delivery of the Goli's Sleep  - I thought since there's ashwaganha, definitely there must be a chinese way of slow healing right? Dropped by the medical hall at Parkway and asked boss. Immediately he introduced Pearl powder. I thought pearl powder is only for the face. Then he mentioned about ya jing - reduce shock and I remember that once I was recommended by the Tai Aun Medical Hall lady for something also for the girls when they were baby. Athena used to take it often. Unfortunately there's nothing that I can brew for her to drink. when I asked him what's the difference between ashgawandha and this, he mentioned that pearl powder is natural and ashgawandhe is ??? I'm clueless whats the chinese word he used. I asked him what that word means and he couldn't explain it. Haha! typical chicken and duck talking. 

A box of 30 pills which can last for a week (4 tablets in a day) sets me back by $50. No harm trying. I started giving her immediately. 
                                       





extracted from : www.healthline.com/health/pearl-powder
Pearl powder was used as an anti-inflammatory, detoxifying agent, and relaxant in Chinese medicine. This could be in part because of the magnesium it contains. Magnesium has an ability to elevate gamma aminobutyric acid ( GABA ) levels, which can help alleviate depression, anxiety, and certain sleep disorders.

extracted from :https://pearl-powder.net/stress-relief juice.htm#:~:text=They%20discovered%20that%20pearl%20can%20increase%20positive%20%22elevated,relieves%20dizziness%2C%20headaches%20and%20irritability%2C%20and%20improves%20sleep.

Pearl Powder contains taurine. Taurine has an effect on the central nervous system. Studies show that pearl can promote a calming effect on the nervous system and ease pain. They discovered that pearl can increase positive "elevated mood" neurotransmitters, thus reduce stress levels, and promote peaceful, positive Internal energy. Similar studies have been reported that when pearl powder is taken internally, relieves dizziness, headaches and irritability, and improves sleep.

7. Now that we’re on the cheena route. That got me thinking - will tuina help? Afterall she used to enjoy child tuina in 育国中医诊疗所 ?But that would means I’m taking time off to do tuina which will eat into her revision time, then she starts panicking. 


AFTER RESEARCH IS DONE ON CONSUMPTION, IT’S TIME TO EXPLORE OLFACTION

Essential oils

First approach are the expensive small bottles I have at home - my essential oils. 

I've done a blend of lavender, cedarwood and vetiver before, so I will diffuse again for now. 


So what is/are alternative/s to Vetiver, since YL’s Vetiver only comes in 5ml bottles. I'd like to finish off some oils at home too. Found out that oils that smell similar to Vetiver are Myrrh, Palo Santo and Sandalwood. 

Looked for more sleep sleep oil blends if the LCV blend doesn't work and found these.   


Will these 2 other essential oil blends help her? Peace and Calming and Highest Potential? If the anxiety is causing her insomnia then perhaps these two might help?    



I remember when they were both taking their major exams in 2014 (P6 and Sec 4), I used the AromaDome and make them lie inside with Valor diffused for 15mins. Perhaps I can do this again? My small bottles of Valor were used up really quickly, but if it will help her this time it might be worth trying. All I need to do is to note down my expenses and charge her next time when she starts working. Haha! 

Links : 

I hope I’ll remember to blog on what finally worked for her and IF it worked on her. 


No comments: