Thursday, October 19, 2006

F.R.E.E.D.O.M

Thank goodness the month went by quickly, as I was about to go insane from couping up at home.

Today, marks the important day of Aricia's turning a month and for me - end of confinement period. Actually, not really so as I will still be practising it for another 10 days. Whatever it is, since it's exactly a month - it gives me the excuse of visiting my paternal grandma. Since she's the only grandma who's still survived by her children and grandchildren; it is only right that she gets to see her 3rd great-granddaughter.
We were supposed to visit her in the morning. But I was not told of the cancellation by my aunty until I called mom to inform I was on the way. Turned out the whole family fell sick so they advised against exposing the little one to the germies.

At my mom's place, my neighbour heard me knocking at my mom's door, opened their door to see Aricia. I was shocked to see Johana all grown up. She's 4 months old already! And so big?! The last time I saw her was before I popped and I remembered Johana was a little bigger than how Aricia is now. Johana is so cute, and was warming up to me. She loves to be carried too! Oh my.......
We shared on breastfeeding; chinese medicines (she's Malay) and then she told me on how she's trying to make her daughter lie on her front(which Johana hates) so that she'll learn to crawl. I bursts out laughing and told her "she hasn't even turn from back to front. You want her to crawl? She'll only turn about 5 months and crawl at about 6-7 months." Sometimes I think back, parents are overtly too anxious about their baby's milestones that they didn't realise that they should treasure the 'can't move; lay still and look at you' baby at the moment. But I admit, I was like them before.

I heard Athena's voice and realised she didn't even go to school today. Ai yoh.........when the mother's in confinement there seems to be no rule at all. She skips school at her whims and fancies (father; grandma; uncle gladly let her skip school),nobody tells her to brush her teeth every morning and night. I must check if she's got any decayed teeth or not.
A while later we left to meet up Wilma (Aricia's godma) for lunch. Lunch was great (coming from a person who has been eating boring food)most importantly company was better.

After lunch, mom,2 kids and myself headed to Raffles City. I needed to do some shopping but first thing on my agenda was - I need to get the milk outta my breasts.It was geting quite painful. Yup! I actually brought out my breastpump and packed into my already 'filled with things' bag. I haven't done this for a long time, coz' it's much simpler to bring Athena out- only need her water bottle; my pair of scissors and a pack of wet tissues. Now I'm back to square 1!!
After pumping; feeding - almost an hour gone. Walked around a little; bought the older girl a big heart shaped helium blown balloon. Then had to leave to go to TM - need to register Athena for next year's YJC class. But before that, it was a stopover at mom's place to put my EBM in her fridge.

The day ended before my eyes very fast. And should I rejoice at my freedom? I really don't know, I gotta think about the pumping and pumping.

No comments: