Thursday, April 13, 2006

When your only daughter (baby) suddenly becomes an elder sister

Earlier on, when I was at McDonald's for my dinner, I witnessed how this little girl was taunting her elder sister. Their mummy was in the queue purchasing their food and obviously did not witness anything.
The little girl, about 4+ was taunting her sister, about 9+. Elder sister was obviously bullied but could not retaliate. Little girl continued slapping her sister's lap and run away; slap and run away. At one point the elder one manage to pull her back, little girl manage to let go and ran to the mummy. Then the little girl took her own water bottle and kindda wanted to splash water at her elder sister.

Just then, mummy came back. And the elder one was complaining to the mother - which I think she didn't hear. They move seats and the elder one was sent back to take the water bottle from the table where they were originally. She did it with a grudge. I don't know what happened after that as they were seated too far from me.

Then, I started to think about my little girl - who's still a baby in our eyes. For 4 years, she has been enjoying all the attention as she is the youngest in our family (the only grandchild on my side, and the youngest grandchild & only girl on husband's side). A baby is still a baby, how is she going to be an elder sister? And to think that she has been showing us her stubborn nature and temperament, will she change after being an elder sister? Will she be able to tolerate the younger sibling's nonsense? Somehow, when she reacted quite positively to the news of another sibling I was quite taken aback. And it really touches me when she comes up to me now and tell me "mummy, I want to listen to di-di." And she'll tell me "di-di sleeping." Or like what happened today, stomach growling of hunger and she told me di-di fang pi (let out gas)". Really funny!

Also, will I be able to discipline the naughty child without punishing the innocent child. But as you know, when a squabble happens between siblings, it usually happens without the parents' presence. So how are we to know who's telling the truth??
How am I suppose to divide my love for each child? At the end of the day, I'll be so exhausted and forget to show my love for my husband and myself!

No comments: