Thursday, April 13, 2006

How Junior learns best - extracted from Straits Times (Mind & Body)

Shefali Srinivas finds out what works and what doesn't for kids' early brain development and social abilities

On Saturday mornings, the United Square mall in Novena fills up with children heading off for various learning activities - enrichment classes, creative classes, music, golfing, fencing and even classes for outstanding PSLE results.

The choice of learning programmes for children has never been as varied as it is today. Yet, this beguiling range of options can leave parents a little confused as to what really helps their child learn.

Dr Nicole Green, assistant professor of early childhood education at the National Institute of Education in Singapore, suggests parents should ask themselves these questions:

'Does the programme attend to my child's physical, intellectual, social, emotional and aesthetic development? Is the programme flexible to accommodate my child's emerging interests? Is it something that excites him or her?'

Research shows children learn better when they see 'learning' as interesting and engaging rather than a 'duty'.

Learning experts in the past thought the child was a 'blank slate' for the adults to fill with knowledge and skills. It was also believed that a child's abilities and brain development were entirely dependent on genes. Little attention was given to the child's environment and other influences.

Dr Green says newer research shows that brain development occurs through a complex interplay between the child's genes and positive interactions with peers and parents, nutrition, environment and other stimulations.

Brain imaging technology has also given us insight into how the child's brain develops. The first two to three years of life are crucial for brain development. As babies begin to see, touch and hear, the input from these experiences triggers chemicals in the brain that build connections between neurons - the nerve cells that carry information from one part of the brain to another. A secure environment where the parents interact with the baby is said to foster brain development while understimulation can curb the child's potential.

However, Dr Green also cautions against too much stimulation. 'This can overwhelm the neural circuits of a growing child, causing the brain to be less sensitive to everyday experiences - essential for a healthy beginning to life,' she says.

For instance, there are learning programmes that promise to have a child reading by age two.

Mrs Jayne Nadarajoo, who is director of Whitelodge Early Learning Centre, says she sometimes meets parents who brag about their child's ability to read advanced school books. 'I ask them, but can your child play?'

Mrs Nadarajoo believes in 'respecting children', and facilitating their development rather than 'programming' them.

She says that a child's personality should be allowed to develop through interaction and play. 'Otherwise you just end up with a robot.'

At Whitelodge, where the motto is to 'train the child to think', Mrs Nadarajoo treats the child as an individual. Children learn through experience and are encouraged to form connections, ask questions and decide how they want to spend their time.

These methods, used with her own children, build motivation and confidence.

She tells parents to guard against spoonfeeding. Instead, she suggests involving them in various aspects of life - be it grocery shopping, cooking or telling them stories about a holiday destination - all of which promote learning. 'The most important thing that parents can do to promote learning is to stay engaged with their child.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Footnote from me:

After reading this article, I felt that I was reading the "old" me.

I used to believe that children's spurt from the early days till 3 years old. So that's the time to put it as much things into my girl's brain. I used to think that I'm going to send my girl for this and that classes.. to put her at the winning edge over other kids.
But what made me step back? First, it's the fees in every place that I'm going to send her. GUG, I can Read, Speech & Drama. Second, she's in full day school. I can only bring her for classes on weekends.
I felt that she has enough of stimulation from me everyday already. And if I need to send her for any classes now, it's only gonna be Phonics.I gotta look at things in a more realistic way. I let her enjoy her childhood as I do not want to make her think whatever has happened during her growing up years. School or the daily grinding I'm giving her is must be interesting.
I am not a hard-core "No supplementary lessons" person. I believe in sending them to supplements only when necessary. Also to have a mixture of fun besides just studying. And the rest of the job? Parents are the best teachers, trust me! It not only bonds time with your child, you can also teach your child according to his/her progress.

No comments: