Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Stargazing in US - Dec 2021


Last year’s stargazing  🔭 day in the freezing cold winters. 

I got my DSLR n correct lens n tripod all ready but it was so so so cold + the strong wind 💨. I couldn’t do any set-up as I think my camera will freeze in the cold. My hands and fingers will freeze until someone invents a warm but sensitive to the touch gloves. 

I experimented with my new iPhone 13Pro. I must admit the phone is marvellous. Most of these pictures posted here are unedited unless otherwise stated. 

Let’s start with the last stargazing in JTNP, which we wouldn’t have gone if we all returned home on schedule. So count our blessings. 

31st Dec 

*edited to bring out more stars*




It’s only 6.13pm but we had to make our way back to hotel. We can’t help but stopped along the way to look at the dark sky again coz the moment we head back to Palm Springs, visibility will be low. 

A ranger drive by and stopped to check if we’re alright. Maybe we pulled off at a wrong spot? Or maybe there are wild animals around? 😅 We can’t help but to lay our eyes on the huge masterpiece. This is our last chance to stargaze. Nevertheless he was very friendly with us, I mean I could pick up conversation with him and chat about the stars and this beautiful national park we've been twice already, but I think he needs to get to do his other duties. 

One's feelings is changed the moment we have that darkness all around us and only thrown to marvel the creation of the universe.

How many more days will we be stuck in US? Maybe can we go Death Valley? 😉 I miss DVNP! 

Our position 33.8734° N, 115.9010° W



I really miss the dark sky 🥰. How many times have I repeated this sentence? 

I took some pictures in Grand Canyon but I think my hands were shaking from the cold that my pictures turned out a little blurry. I was not able to get any pictures without the trees, not sure why. All I wanted to do is to snap and run back into the room. I really wonder how some people can stay out so many hours in the cold stargazing and snapping pictures.  

On 13th Dec, the day we arrived in GC. Mr Moon was up and I wondered if I can get any pictures. I’m so glad that even if the sky wasn’t that pitch dark 伸手不见五指, I did manage some shots

The lodge is at 36.0542° N, 112.1199° W


Taurus, that obvious V shape was spotted and immediately I looked up to find the 7 sisters. 




14th Dec - was cloudy. Tho I kept opening the door a few times to check but left disappointed after so many attempts. Moreover weather forecast says there’s going to be a snowstorm in the night. If I apply my geography knowledge, a sudden snowstorm means there’s way too much “droplets” evaporated days before = cloud cover. 

We are not guaranteed clear nights all the time. But I must admit I am disappointed, I don’t live here! If out of 365 days in a year, I still have many days and chances of stargazing I wouldn’t be so disappointed. 

15th Dec 
15th Dec - taken on the day we drove from GC to Page. After a stop in the supermarket, near Page’s City Hall, I just had to look up into the sky even though there were streetlights around us. 
Nearer to the building are Jupiter and Saturn. And the other bright star (to the top right of this photo) is Altair. 







No comments: