Sunday, December 6, 2020

What I left behind in SQ

When I had to tender in my resignation all of a sudden in April 2002, I was sad. (The only thing I was happy is that I could clear all the manuals in the house)

I was on no-pay leave then. 

I still had stuffs in my mailbox. 

I didn’t say a proper goodbye to my colleagues. It’s like I’ve suddenly disappeared from the earth.

I didn’t take pictures of the control centre etc.. 

I didn’t take my last walk in the cabin as a cabin crew.

I didn’t walk down the aero bridge the last time in uniform.

I didn’t get anymore chance to go into my favourite place - the cockpit. Pre-Sep11 days I love to go into the cockpit and talk to the pilots, look into the vast view in front of me looking at the milky way, stars and identifying constellations to them. Hahaha! Honestly speaking do they ever play back what’s in the Blackbox? 

I didn’t do my doors disarmed photo taking. 

What was my next step? I haven’t secured a ground job and this baby came along? But I knew I could go back flying after that. In the end, that resignation became a permanent one. The 2004 attempt to go back flying was stopped by hubby when I was about to apply airport pass. What if he didn’t stop me then? 16 years down the road today in 2020 I would be nicest CSS (at least) around. 

Bringing up Che-Che would turn out differently for sure. She would either be taken care by mom or in-laws. I would have missed out a lot on her growing up. Most importantly I think I wouldn’t look so aged with constant worrying, scolding my child, stressed up. Also, if I was busy working I think my size would be manageable, won’t be fat like now. 

I left behind many wonderful memories. It’s really hard to describe, only ex-crew who loved their jobs would know what I mean. 

NICE PEOPLE 

In this job,  I met so many nice people. Much more than the nasty ones. 

I’ve met so many interesting passengers. I’ve made friends with a few, very cautiously too coz I wasn’t going to find my better half in my passengers or crew and I hope they know I’m not interested in them. 

Some passengers recognise me. I don’t know why? 

1) Maybe because I was sincere in my job and I gave them their best flight ever? [abit not shy here] I received many thanks from passengers and I wasn’t so hard up in soliciting for complimentary letters. It was service from the bottom of my heart, although I joked with passengers I still treat them with utmost respect. At that time,  I think passengers were also more engaging unlike now. They were alright with entertaining this talkative stewardess as there wasn’t a huge selection of movies to keep them occupied so perhaps they’re also bored. I spent alot of time talking to passengers, some would ask me for my number. I rejected a lot of their requests.

2) or maybe I had a unique name? They see me on board while I’m busy boarding passengers or busy that didn’t pay attention to them. And they said hello to me calling me by my name while I was still trying to recall their surnames. I’m better in recognising faces than names. They would recognise me from previous flight and would tell me which flight; which date. OMG! I can’t even remember,  I had to flip my notebook to check if what he was saying is true. 

A particular passenger on this CAN flight operated on A310 remembers me. And I tell you every CAN flight I do, I’ll see him. And PPS him always seated in the same seat with his mom. I can be working as B4 or business class and happen to walk down his aisle, not knowing he’s on board he’ll stretch out his hands to me n smile at me. Usually I’ll stop coz he notices me first before I do, tell you coz there’s only one boring movie played on A310 then and he must be bored. Muahaha! Can’t be just me right? He is so friendly, I think he stops other stewardess who served him too. The second last time I saw him, at first I had my back towards him as I was helping a passenger. I turned around and had a shock coz I didn’t know he was behind me waiting to get to his seat , he was smiling so widely & immediately his remark was “congratulations on getting your green, Lily”. As usual his mom is always with him. You know there are some conversations that had to be kept conservative so I don’t ask him or her more than what I should. I made sure that for the last 2 flights as a LSS, I checked on them for the last time and always say goodbye to them before I take my seat for landing at D3L. After that I left my job permanently, I didn’t say my last goodbye to the friendly soft spoken lady . Sometimes I do wonder how his mom is, she should be in her 80s now, if she is still making trips with her son. 

SIGHTSEEING

One of the perks of being in the airline is the many opportunities to land in different countries within a short period. Others will need to take annual leave for their vacation. Flight crew have vacations all the time. Can be in Australia today and few days time in USA. 

I really miss sightseeing, I miss walking to Hauptbahnhof to take trains to small cities. I lost the freedom to venture places on my own, now I have to travel with the family during school holidays and be their maid. I miss taking photos.

I miss buying snacks for the family. After all, the money that I have I don’t have to pay for accommodation or airfare so it’s solely to buy snacks for the family to try. 


IMPORTANT LESSONS IN LIFE

I’ve learnt so much in my years in SIA. I’ve grown up, know how to take care of myself. These are lessons for life. I’m just so thankful I had a job in SIA, I was given the opportunity to open up my wings in 1995. I would go back to flying if I can, I encourage che-che to try but she’s not keen. She wants to stupidly spend money to travel, so we can let her do it on her own next time (we can’t possibly be sponsoring every holidays for her)

No comments: