Wednesday, June 25, 2008

JG Playclub

Brought Aricia for her trial @ JG Playclub in the old Big Splash in the morning.

Prior to her class, she was seen "talking" to one girl. Only thing, she was the only one talking, the other girl was so shy. Then that nosey poker girl bent her legs to see at the girl's mother with her head tilting one side and called "aunty". Called and called again, thank goodness the mother wasn't frustrated with this girl who kept repeating the same thing.

Class started, I found out later that the youngest child in the class is 18 months, that makes my Aricia the second youngest. The class is for 18 months - 4 years. So I personally found it quite difficult to handle the wide age spectrum in a class.
I'm so proud of my girl, teacher Claire said that she did well in class considering it's her first time in class. (This class was only opened this week & second time for the rests of the children, they were rather noisy. Aricia surprisingly didn't make any noise or scream in class-scared of teacher? All she did was to sit on my lap; cling on me but she'll turn her head to look at the teacher.) When they sang the Alphabet Song, she took out the pacifier from her mouth and started singing. Teacher was surprised and said "she's singing?!" while she was still singing the song.
What surprised me further was the fact that she is receptive to instructions. The children had to put glue on a paper and then paste the cut out parts to paste (like jigsaw puzzle) . I know and have confidence she can do it, just that when I do things with her at home she likes to taunt me - she'll throw the things away or when I'm guiding her she'll protest and don't let me teach/touch her etc.. So, I was so surprised that she didn't need me to guide her and she was able to show me where to paste; turning to the right direction.
When it came to painting, she continued dabbing and dabbing the colours. I didn't have to help her, except to stop her from touching her face (she had paint on her face, legs, clothes) It helps that I had been doing painting with her. Just that to make things easy for myself, I've let her do finger painting so those are washable.
After the class, they serve snacks. Aricia was able to do it -with the training she received from home (normally at home, we'll let her take her plate with her snacks from the kitchen to the coffee table. She'll then take the stool -the one that MH gave her- from the open compartment of our coffee table; sit herself down and savour snacks slowly. Then returns the plate to KZ in the kitchen)

As I've explained to hubby, I can do all these at home with her so there's no need. But yet on the other hand I've noticed she needs the social skills + she performs better outside. So I've put her on waitlist. I'd prefer to put her on a Tuesday/Thursday class. They kept asking me to go on the Monday/Wednesday class, but it's gyming day for me. And it wouldn't be nice to ask MH to change day coz' we've already found a comfortable day for the 2 of us. As it is, I felt so guilty about our gym day until I've placed Aricia's name down and in the night I realised my mistake.

Waitlist for Playclub. Checked the price for Chiltern House, surprisingly it's not that ex. Will check out MMI-Katong one day, wanted to do so today but it was difficult to handle Aricia alone.

No comments: